Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Read these: Megan and Pamela's books.

So I have completely and utterly fallen in love with Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief series.

I have read The Thief itself twice already, and the ending at least six times, probably more.  (I initially got it from the library perhaps four weeks ago.)  I read The Queen of Attolia once, but skimmed through it again multiple times.  And reread the ending several times.  Because.


Saturday I got the third book.  (I laughed so hard several times Mom thought I'd do myself injury.)  During my first read, I kept muttering, "[ellided] you viper," which is a quote from The Thief.  8)

Dad has also read all three books now; only a few days ago he was asking me: "Where's Book 3?"  Trying to persuade Mom to read The Thief next.

Already I have read Book 3 twice, and skimmed it multiple times.  I was actually skimming it much of tonight.  I am not listing its title as that is a bit of a spoiler, and the only thing I have against said book.

I love this book.  I love this series.  I cannot recommend The Thief highly enough.  Here is an amazing review of Books 1-3 which avoids spoilers.

If you like the Vorkosigan series of Lois Bujold's, I think you will love these.  Because... character-driven writing.


Reminded me of other books I love to reread, like Pamela Dean's.  Here's a 2001 interview about her books, most of which were reprinted some while ago by Firebird.  Alas, The Dubious Hills hasn't been reprinted.

And, to my great sorrow, her planned book Going North was cancelled by its publisher.  I hope that Sharyn and Pamela can get it published.  Because Going North will be fantastic.

Books that I love to read and reread are the books of my heart.

No comments: