Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

ER trip 3: More health wth.


I AM FINE. It was not a heart attack as feared!  


ER trip 3 in under five months! since I went in on 29-Sept-2019, the day before my fifty-first birthday [!] and also last month on 5-Jan-2020, both for another health issue* [see bottom of page].

Am out of hospital and back home, so I just have to wait on seeing my GP, who's free next Wednesday.

Pain caused by one of three possibles, per Dr. Hershey: acid reflux, arthritis, or nerve problems. All of which I already have.

Spent nearly 24 hrs in Sparrow Hospital.

=-=

Yesterday I left home in an ambulance circa 1:16pm, going to ER. Sparrow Hospital checked me in come evening for a stress test -- to confirm it was not my heart.

I'd called 9/11 because I thought I was having a heart attack.

Intense pain at edge of rib cage, then in my back, that would NOT STOP. I have a high pain tolerance, but sharp sudden pain can debilitate me as much as anyone.

-_-

Felt like 10 minutes passed, going closer to 20 by the time I went for help... You can imagine why I'd freak out.

The pain'd gone from one Thomas Dolby song to the next** with no sign of stopping-- that's when I began doing research.

Asked Alexa twice what the symptoms of a woman's heart attack was. Then I Googled. Discounting fatigue, since I'd been about to take a nap, and was already on the bed; the only one I had was the pain. Out of five.

But I didn't know what the hell was going on. So I called 9/11 -- after telling my bf first, since he works from home.

Then I woke my roomie. You're supposed to secure pets, y'see, and the two kittens were definitely not secured. :P She got up instantly and kept an eye on the little boogers for me.

=-=

Of course Digger wanted to come meet the nice men with backpacks who were talking to Mummy... and then took her away!

Grabbed cell and the tablet I'd taken to bedroom, then the emergency were knocking on door. Got shoes and coat, then off we went.

=-=

Triage thought it was my gall bladder. ER kept doing heart tests, however, and the hospital continued them today.

Four blood draws yesterday, one this morning; running on the Flash's Cosmic Treadmill today; plus way too much time on gurneys and having heart monitors stuck to me.

Sparrow gave me two meals on Wednesday. Tuesday I was allowed one meal [one!] after fasting and no water from my arrival -- around 1:30pm Eastern? -- til they got results back from tests. I think it was a good 6+ hours without sustenance. :/

Not being hydrated was actually worse. Luckily I finally remembered to start using eye drops again!

I've got some impressive bruises on my hands and arms, as my veins didn't want to participate in all the blood withdrawals.

=-=

Last night, my SO was a darling and brought me a snack [chicken nuggets] to make up for the hours foodless. ER got me a boxed lunch, but that was all the hospital had left by 10pm when I was settled into a room.

He also brought me books, chargers, my meds, and a change of clothing. So I was set in case I had to stay longer. Being given the stress test in the morning instead of the afternoon was a godsend.


~ Postscript ~

Leaving was more exciting, as the hospital wifi sucks, and so I could call or text up on the eighth floor, but not in the frickin' lobby. I did finally get Uber'd home.

Once I got home, I took something into kitchen, and Digger slipped up behind me. I stepped back onto him; he screeched, I screeched, then fell straight down. I don't recall falling, only that I went from standing to slipping to sitting on floor.

He is okay!

Pretty sure I'm okay too. Too bad I missed any chance to get to chiro. But sleeping for hours helped a lot.

We've checked him over and Pocito seemed more rattled from the screeches than anything else, and he's stopped watching my feet warily by now.

Took long nap once I'd unpacked and such. Feeling much more like myself now.

=-=

* Long story short, as my cousin likes to say: I have corneal dystrophy. Discovered last summer. Not life-threatening per se. My Cogan's dystrophy is being managed. Will likely blog about it another time. =grimace=

** "Hyperactive!" and "You Blinded Me With Science", in case you're wondering. :p

No comments: