Search This Blog

Saturday, March 3, 2012

CRACK!

Last night, we were watching Bill Maher... and heard this awful noise, somewhere between an explosion and a gunshot.

The wind picked up in a big way.

And that's how we found out about the windstorm. It was a doozy. Outside the house -- which we couldn't see before 11pm, naturally -- two trees have fallen. Matchsticks is the word that comes to mind. I'm certain at least four fell within our hearing last night.

The storm's not gone, as the wind still rises every so often. I stayed up last night because it was too loud to sleep. Mind you, I wanted to be asleep.

No tornadoes here. Chainsaws, yes. A neighbor or two are buzzing away merrily.

[Maybe that's not how they see it, but when you've listened to the monthly tornado siren test, and heard it end quite gratefully, then chainsaws are not what you want to hear. Not when the winds were still loud past 7:30am!]

Okay, now I'm rambling. I'm considerably less awake than I'd prefer to be. :/

On the plus side, several times after midnight, I thought the winds had died down. Or stopped. They were considerably muffled from where I sit now. :)

2 comments:

Rachel V. Olivier said...

Wow! We had some winds out here and on the third floor they sounded alarming last night, but nothing like that. A friend of mine lives in Mammoth, though and last week he was watching big pine trees shaking in the wind. I think wind gets to me more than the other elements. There's really nothing you can do about wind.

Starbuck O'Shea said...

I'd say this the worst windstorm I can remember. Wind has knocked down trees and such before -- hell, it happens a LOT in the Midwest. (I swear violent rain and wind are partners in crime.) Still... =frowns=

It's different to find gutters, pieces of roof, or branches gone on walkabout.

But multiple trees _shattering_; and in high winds going for 8+ hours!

I found what I can only describe as an explosion of branches out back. I can't see a particular branch gone; it really does look like someone took a firecracker to some tree and the branches responded accordingly.

Freakish.