Search This Blog

Saturday, May 17, 2014

The importance of understanding...



I've been thinking about things like this for a while.  Men who get upset about women talking about rape and being afraid.

I'm not afraid all the time.  I had a really bad year when I was afraid.  I was stalked, I was raped, and that messed me up for a very long time.

When you don't know how to articulate things to yourself, don't feel bad when you can't explain them to others either.

I've listened to people say "Well, why didn't you tell me?" or "Why didn't you do...?"


Don't second-guess someone telling you about something traumatic.  Just don't.  It's not helping in any way.  Listen if you can.  If you can't listen, say so.

Saying "I don't understand" is fine.  But trying to rewrite his or her experience isn't.


And in case you're wondering, I want to get a therapist again.  Very much.  I need one, and not just for these things.  Really tired of waiting on the Medicaid expansion providers, who should've gotten me my health card by now.

Having a therapist helps tremendously; very probably I would have avoided some of the bad depressive periods I've had recently.

No comments: