Search This Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2022

Where I'll be, aside from here.

*** UPDATE at end of this post. *** 


So since today the "Chief Twit" has decided that other social networks don't get "free" [wtf!!!] adverts in His Site... 


I made my Mastodon account... Thus far my goal is to use the same handle I had on Twitter, which was @ninja_CE


Last month, I'd made my account over at CounterSocial, or CoSo, but blamed if I can figure out how to do aught there! Also, I fiddled around and made one column vanish, so I may have gacked my CoSo up. 


When I make my Post account, it too should be ninja_CE.  :) I will update here later. 


For older accounts, I am on FB, as of 2017. Also LinkedIn -- as of 2008, I believe. Both are under my given name. 


=========================================================


ETA 26-Dec-22: I've changed my mind after reading the terms of service [TOS] for Post. Their focus on micropayments -- and on keeping financial info, even after it's expired, to keep billing it!! -- already tells me something important. To wit, they want money. 


I do not want to give them my money, my data, or my time.  


I don't care how much the team at Post plan on creating a happier, gentler site! So far, they only show that they grok capitalism and profit. Had they said, "Hey, we will arrange for premium features that you pay for" -- like CounterSocial does, and/or have a tip jar/donation button, again like CoSo... but they didn't. 


I refer you to Cat Valente's wonderous blog post on social media -- and how they want our money, on the bird site's chaos this year, and how these sites destroy the online communities we build -- Stop Talking to Each Other and Start Buying Things: Three Decades of Survival in the Desert of Social Media. It's on her Substack page. 


No comments: