Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

From kittens to kitten.

FYI: Like Tiny Cat, these are feral kittens.

Last week Nixie went missing, on 25-July-18. After breakfast. This seems to be the time the kittens vanish, sometime after the kibble comes back out.

Can't leave the kibble out overnight, since local coons -- anywhere from 3-7 a night! -- come by, along with a couple skunks, and maybe a possum.

Nix is a dilute calico male. A timid cat. He and Jack had just started purring together at us...

Then Sunday (29-July) Cali went missing. She's a female calico. After I fed her and her brother Jack breakfast.



I'm at my wits' end. We don't have current pics of the kittens.

Jack is nearly his mother's size now, at barely six months old. Nixie is a bit smaller than Jack. Nix used to seem very gray with odd spots of faint orange. Now his stripes are more distinct, but he blends in like camo very easily now. Cali remains a smallish cat, who looks more like the kitten she is.

So now Jack is vocal at me when I call for Cali, and he seems to wonder where she is, looking under the steps as if expecting her or Nix to pop out. Jack is black with white triangles on his abdomen and chest.


I think that the neighbor's cat Dingdong may've run them off. He's been chasing all our cats away. For months he's pursued the adult cats every time he sees 'em.

Many times, I yelled at him to leave the kittens alone, but DD probably assumed "If you can't see me, it's okay!" when of course it's NOT. But I can't be sure. A cat during the day, since the wildlife only comes around at night, and DD is just the most probable.

I didn't want to get attached to these kittens when Tiny Cat vanished. We'd known him for 11/12ths of his life. And then I did, of course, especially Cali. She and Gatito would've liked playing together...

I hate being helpless. I hate not being able to rescue them. I keep praying that someone found them and is feeding the munchkins... I feel like there's a gorram black hole that eats kittens outside! :o

And knowing that Shadow never taught her kittens how to hunt makes this worse. They've been dependent on us since the day they appeared, 18-April-18.

Please keep them in your thoughts; thank you. :/

2 comments:

Starbuck O'Shea said...

In retrospect, it's more likely not another cat. [Not unless Shadowcat came by and somehow persuaded the kittens to follow her -- but she never came back herself after Sept. So--?] Probably it was the illegal dog ring. Which was in a nearby neighborhood.

Yes, that is my angry face you're picturing.

Our next-door neighbor vanished. He was implicated in said ring. It's looking like not only did he goto jail in autumn 2018, but that he was under house arrest over summer 2018. Come October '18, give or take a week, first he wasn't at his house.

People came by to mow his lawn, and a few times we saw his adult son. Then no one came by.

Eventually someone would come from the city -- or a city contractor -- to mow the grass, and later to plow up the snow. The person mowing would measure the grass!

Starbuck O'Shea said...

This May, someone else moved into that house. It never had a 'for sale' sign up.

But now we've a nice family with a few small yappy dogs. [I have dubbed one "Loud" after the previous dog there, which my SO called Loud; this littler one is very much a Yappy-Loud.] One person there is very much a SW fan; their baby will be named after a rather famous Storm Trooper.