Search This Blog

Monday, August 5, 2019

Jack's new vet adventure.

Jack's terrible awful no-good morning last Friday* went like this:

Sweetpea stayed inside all night. Didn't stir til nearly 8am, when I rose. Swapped her for one unsuspecting Jack.

Jack was fine, friendly and affectionate, happy to chow down. Third time this week he's just sat down by door and purred. He clearly hasn't been sleeping well.

Heck, Sweetpea decided to stay inside and sleep all morning! She hasn't done that in a while. So maybe he felt the same -- not feeling well, wanting not to be disturbed -- but hasn't wanted to waste the Great Outside, the playground, what if it rains again, can't miss out--

O Jack, you are still a kitten and will be for nearly another year. :D


He'd nose discharge too, like last night but worse; I didn't try wiping it with tissue. I wanted to keep him calm as long as I could.

After a bit, Jack wanted to go out. Still purring, he thought I wanted to pet him more, which he was fine with. Meows began. I carried him to half-bath and set him down there. :: No no, not THAT place! :: as he ran away.

He got vocal in the way of Siamese.

I kept petting him, offered him toys, but he wanted to dig his way back outside. Sweetpea has also attempted this, to no affect, but Jack was willing to try.

Apparently I was not responding to normal "let me out" signals. This must be important, and probably not to his liking; he well recalled that hideous June morning like this. [He'd just needed a checkup to get flea treatment, but he hated that trip too.] So Jack was somewhat worried.

Jack began vocalizing even MOAR.


I carried him to the half-bath again.  I carry him infrequently, and it's something he dislikes, as he's gotten lanky and heavier, so much that I am clearly Not Tall Enough to carry him. So I shut us up together.

Jack did not like. :: No no no. ::

We talked. He insisted I let him go. My being in there with him was not good either.

I set him in the litter box. :: NO. ::

I sat down on toilet, and realized that would be a Bad Smell and more likely to upset him. Dammit! Got off. Jack ran into the litter box -- Good! thought I.

Not good: Jack tried to climb inside the toilet [!] and I hurriedly stopped him, then suggested he climb ON it instead. He accepted. Sat on back of toilet, getting petted.

This was still insufficient -- next, he attempted to scale the vanity.

I loosed him from the bathroom. I heard him vocalizing, and I gave up and used the lav myself. Which I ought to have cleverly done before trying to capture him, but I'd just gotten up, okay? :p


What I missed, while occupied: Jack went and told my SO how very awful everything was... how I was not letting him out, how The Girl must be broken, and how he-my-SO should continue demonstrating their male kinship and release the kitty.

My SO's alarm had not yet gone off ('though today he had had a helpful cat alarm, how thoughtful!) and he was still a cocoon on the bed. Thus Jack decided to try elsewhere.

He went to our roomie and began over.

Roomie told him she was awake; by this point I'd finished and was between the two bedroom doors... I saw a tail flicker once, and then another tail-flick as Jack fled under the bed. Silently.


My roomie -- who marvelously has carried several cats to vet, and been my rock as I cope with feline unhappiness therein -- and I made ready to take Jack away.

I got a flashlight; I went into her room after she left, and began pounding on boxes, moving them, and flashing the light... oh, and I asked Alexa to play the "Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin. At two notches louder.

Decided it was better than "Ride of the Valkyries"... More screamy.

Jack teleported out of his hideout fast. I caught him. We struggled briefly... and I got him into the carrier after 1.5 tries. Practice for the win, yeah. :)


Spidey's got nothing on Jack, who turns into Spider-Cat -- to resist entering carrier mightily. [Not Venom, for which I am very grateful.] Cat burrito attempts all failed.

Ahhh, resistance is futile, my darling, I promise you--

I did put the towel over his head, and he was either sneezing badly or hyperventilating after, which worried me. Then his breathing stabilized. =quiet huzzah=

He complained to roomie about this conspiracy and torment... But after loaded into truck, Jack was quiet. Resigned to his fate?

Jack turned into a ball of sad, his default state for this particular morning.


The vet visit went well. He didn't try to leap off table or hide in room. Indeed, Jack tried to stay in carrier instead!

They had to use the jaws of life to extricate him -- okay, not really, but both vet and assistant had to work to remove him.

Both complimented him on his beauty [he IS a lovely cat] and commented that he might add more salt and pepper later on. Jack's trying to add another white patch to his chest, you see.

Feliway seemed to work better this time too. They gave him a Feliway'd towel to lie on again, and he waited for examination and being eaten, as that was clearly his fate. Instead, he got a shot; it's a viral respiratory infection, and she was worried about him getting feline herpes(*)... and we escaped.


When we got back home, I opened the cat carrier and asked him if he wanted to get out by himself. Jack looked out, put forefeet tentatively onto the truck floor, pondered... and leapt away. He scurried under truck and fled for the back yard and safety, safety!!


Here is a baby pic of Jack with his sister Cali.

(*) He was vaccinated when he got fixed last November, but as kittens Jack and his sibs often had discharge from their eyes. Here I thought he'd hay fever like me, poor mite, and it was probably feline flu.  :/

We also got powdered lysine to help Jack improve, which both cats seem to really like. :D Thank the Great Maker. The Internets says this is a needful supplement that neither humans nor cats produce alone.


* Date of his adventure was 2-August-2019. I began writing this that day, but I was so tired a'had a teeny nap instead. I've been sleeping like crap myself, but for none of the same reasons as poor Jack.



No comments: